Dr Dagmar Divjak, School of Languages and Cultures, explores how frequency of experience has changed the way we think about language knowledge.
The episode features contributions by Professor Harald Baayen (University of Tuebingen, Germany), Professor Neil Bermel (University of Sheffield, UK), Dr Jim Blevins (Cambridge University), Dr Kris Heylen (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium) and Dr Petar Milin (University of Sheffield, UK).
Watch the video to learn more.
- Introduction: frequency and Linguistic theory 0:00
- How can we study frequency? 3:42
- How do linguists collect frequency data? 9:07
- A mathematical perspective on language: computer science and AI 17:51
- Looking to the future: what does the interest in frequency mean for linguistic theory? 23:46
- Conclusion: frequency is more than a counter in the head 27:03