In this episode Dr Dagmar Divjak explores how children acquire one or more languages at the same time. She discusses the development of mono- and bilingualism with Dr Danielle Matthews (The University of Sheffield), Dr James Street (Northumbria University) and Professor Antonella Sorace (University of Edinburgh).
Watch the video to learn more.
- 00:00 monolingualism
- 00:26 what stages do monolingual children go through?
- 03:21: which factors facilitate first language acquisition?
- 09:24 individual differences in first language acquisition and language ability
- 16:00 bilingualism
- 16:43 the bilingual mind – truths and myths
- 20:22 how does bilingual language acquisition work?
- 23:53 current controversies surrounding bilingualism research
- 26:09 frequency in mono- and bilingual language acquisition and usage-based models of language